Friday, April 26, 2013

The Beginning of Something Wonderful

Finding Your Voice: The Beginning of Something Wonderful 

Have you ever had a thought cross your mind that resonated in such a way, you knew you were on to something wonderful? Well, this happened to me the moment my fingers stoked the keyboard, as I composed the post to my very first blog! 

Born with a gift of gab, I always have something to say, whether it’s in a grocery line or while sitting in Atlanta gridlock. My mind is always full of opinions about the things in the past, present, and future. In fact, I remember a few of my elementary school teachers commenting on my report card, “Jamica is a delight but she talks too much.” Or “Jamica is a joy to the class but she talks entirely too much.” Finally, after gentle admonishments from one teacher had been unsuccessful, my patient instructor decided to get straight to the point, “Jamica is disruptive in class because she is always talking. Can we schedule a meeting?” Well, needless to say, after my mother had to take off from work to attend this “meeting”, the message became very clear, SHUT UP! However, as I mature I realize that it’s one thing to have an opinion but it’s entirely different to have a VOICE. 

Today, I found my voice and it is a brilliant and amazing thing to behold. As I type the words and they fill the pages of my computer, I am astonished by how beautiful, yet strong this voice truly is! Now that I have embraced this new found sentiment it makes me ponder something I don’t think I have before.
With that said, excuse me if I’m intruding upon your private thoughts and your guarded sense of self. But Gurl, can we talk?

How many girls and women go through life but have not found their voice? Perhaps they have found it but don’t recognize its power  because it has been cloaked or hidden away under  a parent’s philosophy, the preconceived notions of society’s ideologies, or the dogma of a spouse or partner they desperately want to please.

There could literally be hundreds of reasons why this beautiful, strong voice has not been heard. Nevertheless, there are countless opportunities for your voice to be heard. It’s never too late for a debut. Hopefully, Gurl, Can We Talk can be just one avenue. The good thing is that the possibilities are endless. Let it be the beginning of something wonderful.

Jamica Bell is a contributing author for numerous blogs and writes about various topics. She considers herself an advocate for personal growth and evolution. Originally from Atlanta, she takes pride in being an “Original Georgia Peach” and enjoys building memories with her husband of over 20 years and her children.

Photo credit:  http://flic.kr/p/6KmUX7

4 comments:

  1. I love that this is my first topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! :) Miss you, gurl! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamica Bell.. i love the way you write and especially the consistency of words..Wow! Speak truly.. awesome, super and great. thumb up!! first topic, words not speaking but flying!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wali Ullah, Thank you so very much for your kind words. You made my day and brought a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete